How You Can Help Parrots
You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. ― Jane Goodall
Ways that you can help save the parrots of the world are to:
- LEARN all you can about these fabulous birds. There are many good websites, books and magazines devoted to the conservation of wild parrots.
- ACCEPT a small share of responsibility for ALL parrots even if you only have one.
- NEVER buy a wild caught parrot. For every one that reaches a pet store, four have died along the way. Aviary bred, hand-reared parrots make much better, friendlier pets.
- ADOPT a parrot rather than buying one. You will be giving an abandoned parrot a much needed home.
- JOIN a local club, meet other bird people, read all you can, become a knowledgeable pet parrot owner.
- VOLUNTEER your time to help improve the lives of captive and wild parrots.
- SUPPORT ecotourism and provide an alternative income for the local people to reduce the likelihood of illegal trapping and habitat destruction.
- INSPIRE others to help.
- SEND a donation to the World Parrot Trust, an organization whose mission is to support and fund vital conservation work for over 50 species of parrots in 30 countries. The World Parrot Trust supports field research and habitat studies, participates in captive breeding and educational programs, funds the purchase of critical habitat areas, and encourages ecotourism and the sustainable development of resources to enable economic alternatives to trapping parrots.
How You Can Help Preserve the Rainforest and Help Parrots!
Many factors that threaten parrots in the wild can also be impacted by our actions at home. Tropical rainforests, the home to many parrot species, are disappearing at an alarming rate. Rainforests are being cut down primarily for economic reasons by poor individuals trying to make a living by using the land for other purposes such as farming. However, commercial logging activities, agriculture and cattle grazing are also devastating the rainforests.
Kids! Here is a list of ways you can help to save the rainforest and also help wild parrots by preserving their environment:
- Ask your parents to buy foods - like bananas and coffee - that are grown in a sustainable way (a way that is safe for the environment, for wildlife, and for people).
- Ask your school to buy environmentally friendly paper.
- Have a bake sale or school fundraiser to raise money to donate to an organization that works to conserve rainforests.
- Read about other children who live in and near the rainforest and see how they and their families depend on the plants and animals in the rainforest.
- Tell your friends and family about how important the rainforests are, or ask your teacher to teach your class more about rainforests.
- Use less paper – re-use paper instead of throwing it out. Cut it up to use as a notepad, or recycle the paper you use. Ask your parents and teacher about how they recycle their paper.
- Do a class project to learn more about rainforests and the plants and animals that live there- Create a skit, write a story, or decorate your classroom to look like a real rainforest.
- Write a letter to an organization or company that is working to protect the rainforest and tell them they're doing a great job!
- Look at a map of the world with your parents or teacher, and point out the places where rainforests exist.
- Look around your home for things you use or eat that originate in the rainforest – Think about how many things that we use every day originate in the rainforest, and how it would affect you if they were no longer around.